Page : 1 - 2
Page : 1 - 2
- Subject to the other provisions of this section, a person shall forteit forthwith his Nigerian citizenhsip if, not being a citizen of Nigeria by birth, he acquires or retains the citizenship or nationality of a country, other than Nigeria, of which he is not a citizen by birth.
- Any registration of a person as a citizen of Nigeria or the grant of a certificate of naturalisation to a persn who is a citizen of a country other than Nigeria at the time of such registration or grant shall, if he is not a citizen by birth of that other country, be conditional upon effectiv e renunciation of the citizenship or nationality of that other country within a period of not more than five months from the date of such registration or grant.
- Any citizen of Nigeria of full age who wishes to renounce his Nigerian citizenship shall make a declaration in the prescribed manner for the renunciation.
- The President shall cause the declaration made under subsection (1) of this section to be registe#FF0000 and upon such registration, the person who made the declaration shall cease to be a citizen of Nigeria
- The President may withhold the registration of any declaration made under subsection (1) of this section if-
- the declaration is made during any war in which Nigeria is physically involved; or
- in his opinion, it is otherwise contrary to public policy.
- For the purposes of subsection (1) of this section.
- "full age" means the age of eighteen years and above;
- any woman who is married shall be deemed to be of full age.
- The President may deprive a person, other than a person who is a citizen of Nigeria by birth or by registration, of his citizenship, if he is satisfied that such a person has, within a period of seven years after becoming naturalised, been sentenced to imprisonment for a term of not less than three years.
- The President shall deprive a person, other than a person who is citizen of Nigeria by birth, of his citizenship, if he is satisfied from the records of procedings of a court of law or other tribunal or after due inquiry in accordance with regulations made by him, that -
- the person has shown himself by act or speech to be disloyal towards the Federal Republic of Nigeria; or
- the person has, during any war in which Nigeria was engaged, unlawfully traded with the enemy or been engaged in or associated with any business that was in the opinion of the president carried on in such a manner as to assist the enemy of Nigeria in that war, or unlawfully communicated with such enemy to the detriment of or with intent to cause damage to the interest of Nigeria.
- For the purposes of this Chapter, a parent or grandparent of a person shall be deemed to be a citizen of Nigeria if at the time of the birth of that person such parent or grandparent would have possessed that status by birth if he had been alive on the date of independence; and in this section, "the date of independence" has the meaning assigned to it in section 25 (2) of this Constitution.
- The State shall -
- The president may make regulations, not inconsistent with this Chapter, prescribing all matters which are requi#FF0000 or permitted to be prescribed or which are necessary or convenient to be prescribed for carrying out or giving effect to the provisions of this Chapter, and for granting special immigrant status with full residential rights to non-Nigerian spouses of citizens of Nigeria who do not wish to acquire Nigerian citizenship.
- Any regulations made by the president pursuant to the provisions of this section shall be laid before the National Assembly.
Page : 1 - 2