Constitutional Issues |
Sites will open in a separate window
Sovereign National Conference|
Zamfara's Sharia Law>
....read the entire law
ZAMFARA STATE OF NIGERIA
SHARIA'AH PENAL CODE LAW
I assent this 27th day of January, 2000
Alhaji Ahmad Sani (Yariman Bakura)
Zamfara State of Nigeria
A Law to Establish a Shari'ah Penal Code
For Zamfara State
Law 10, 2000
Made at Gusau, this 26th Day of January, 2000
This printed impression has been carefully compared by me with the Bill which has passed the House of Assembly and found by me to be the true and correctly printed copy of the said Bill.
BELLO A. BAURA
DG/CLERK TO THE HOUSE
SHARIAH PENAL CODE
A LAW TO ESTABLISH A SHARI'AH PENAL CODE
FOR ZAMFARA STATE
Citation and commencement
- This law may be cited as the Shari'ah Penal Code Law, 2000, and it shall come into operation on 27th day of January, 2000.
Establishment of Shari'ah Penal Code
- The Provisions contained in the schedule to this Law shall be the law of the State with respect to the several matters therein dealt with and the Said schedule may be cited as, and is hereby called, the Shari'ah Penal Code.
Punishment of Offences Committed in the State
- Every person who professes the Islamic faith and/or every other person who voluntarily consents to the exercise of the jurisdiction of any of Shari'ah Courts established under the Shari'ah courst (Administration of Justice and certain consequential changes) Law, 1999, shall be liable for punishment under the Shari'ah Penal Code for every act or omission contrary to the provisions thereof of which he shall be guilty within the State.
Offence against Laws of the State
- Whereby the provisions of this law the doing of any act or the
making of any omission is made an offence, those provisions shall apply to every person subject to the provisions of this Law who is in the State at the time of his doing the act or making the omission.
- Where any such offence comprises several elements and any acts, omissions or events occur which, if they all occurred in the State, would constitute an offence, and any of such acts, omissions or events, which if they occurred in the State would be elements of the offence, occur
elsewhere than in the State, then:
- If the act or omission, which in the case of an offence committed wholly in the State wold be the inital element of the offences, occurs in the State, the person who does that act or makes that omission is guilty of an offence of the same kind and is liable to the same punishment as if all the subsequnet elements of the offence occurred in the State; and
- If that act or omission occurs elsewhere than in the State and the person who does that act or makes that omission afterwards enters the State, he is by such entry guilty of an offence of the same kind, and is liable to the same punishment, as if that act or omission had occurred in the State and he had been in the State when it occurred.
- When by the Shari'ah Penal Code, any act is declared to be lawful no action shall be brought in respect thereof.
- Except as aforesaid, the provisions of this Law shall not affect any right of action which any person would have had against another, if this Law had not been passed: nor shall the omission from the Shari'ah Penal COde of any penal provision in respect of any act or omission which before the time of the coming into operation of the Penal Code constituted any actionable wrong effect any right of action in respect thereof.
- Nothing in this Law shall affect the authority of courts subject to the jurisdiction of the Law to punish a person summarily for the offence commonly known as contempt of court.
- No act or omisson committed by a person shall be an offence under the provisions of this Law unless such act or omission was committed on or after the commencement date of this law; that is 27th day of January, 2000.
....read the entire law
GENERAL EXPLANATIONS AND DEFINITIONS
PUNISHMENTS AND COMPENSATIONS
ATTEMPTS TO COMMIT OFFENCES
HUDUD AND HUDUD RELATED OFFENCES
QISAS AND QISAS RELATED OFFENCES
CHAPTER X - TA'AZIR OFFENCES
Criminal Intimidation, Insult and Annoyances